I'm a Yorkshire-based artist working in acrylics, oils, wax, wood and more, from palm-sized to wall-sized.
Storytelling, history and biology are the core interests fuelling my work. I enjoy multi-discipline projects, particularly combining visual art and writing; I recently completed a degree in BA Hons Fine Art and Creative Writing, 2014-2017, from Lancaster University. My degree culminated in my co-curating an ekphrastic exhibition, Telling in Full, with my coursemate Jessica Elleray in which writing was explored through art.
My interest in medicine and biology inspire my artwork more and more as I pursue a career in medicine, particularly the intricate natural structures of human anatomy. I'm fascinated by antique medical illustrations and how developments in medical understanding influence culture.
I spent a month of study at The Florence Academy of Art in July 2013, studying chiaroscuro still life painting using the site-size technique. Still life is still a passion of mine, particularly of antique objects that can be revitalised through a painted setting. I am attracted to intricacy and subjects that suggest a hidden narrative; they range from 18th century Jacobite symbolism to odd pieces of driftwood.
Manipulated perspective and the illusory quality of realism also interest me, particularly how they can bring a fictional environment to life. Future projects include life-sized painted rooms, utilizing several perspective points to immerse the viewer in the environment.
- The Boston Spa Arts and Crafts Festival 2014 Bursary Award
- The Programme Prize for Prose, awarded by the Department of English and Creative Writing at Lancaster University, 2017.
- The Boston Spa Arts Festival 2011-2014
- East Keswick Art 28th September 2013
- Gallery 42 Miniatures 2014
- 53 Things to do in Zero Gravity Lancaster University Fine Art Degree Show 2017
- Co-Curated the Telling in Full Exhibition at the Peter Scott Gallery, Lancaster, 6th-8th July 2017. Part of the Lancaster Words Festival.
- SIX, King Street Studios, Lancaster, 13th Oct - 4th Nov 2017
- ART<100, King Street Studios, Lancaster, 30th Nov - 23rd Dec 2017
- LA Summer Exhibition, King Street Studios, Lancaster, 28th July-8th Sept 2018
- Great North Art Show, Ripon Cathedral, Ripon, 1st-23rd Sept 2018
- The Boston Spa Arts Festival, Boston Spa, 12th-13th Oct 2018
- Portals exhibition of miniatures at King Street Studios, Lancaster, 1st February 30th March 2019
- The Hilliard Society of Miniaturists Annual Exhibition, Wells Town Hall, Somerset. 1st June – 8th June 2019
- The Silverdale and Arnside Art and Craft Trail, Hazelwood Hall Pavilion, Silverdale, Lancashire. Saturday 29th – Sunday 30th June 2019.
- The Heron Theatre, Beetham, Cumbria: November 15th - December 21st 2019
A solo exhibition of my work in this fantastic 18th century former school house turned arts venue: http://theherontheatre.com/index.php A mix northern landscapes, with a couple of antipodean sketches in there too from my recent trip to New Zealand! (A full show of NZ paintings will follow in 2020 all being well)